A study of 13 fish oil supplements for over-the-counter children found that all were contaminated with PCB contaminants.
Subscribe to the free nutrition newsletter from Dr. Greger and get the Evidence-based Food Guide: A healthy life resource from Dr. Greger and NutritionFacts.org. Sign in
It is bad enough that supplement manufacturers exploit adults when they are sick and are vulnerable with pills that are often useless or worse, but taking advantage of our parental drive to do what is best for our children with contaminated products that can make them sick, makes me sick . .
More about supplements in:
• Some dietary supplements can be more than a waste of money (
• Should we take a multivitamin? (
• Snake oil dietary supplement (
And speaking of that, is fish oil just snake oil? (
What about omega 3 for our child's growing brain? Watch my video Mercury vs. Omega-3 for brain development
We can also be exposed to PCBs in food. See Food sources of PCB chemical contaminants (
More about the contaminated aquatic food chain in:
• Fish and diabetes (
• Diabetes and dioxins (
• Contaminants in salmon and our own fat (
• Dioxins in the catfish reared in US farms. UU (
What can we do to reduce the risk of childhood asthma and other allergic-type diseases? Watch:
• Prevention of asthma with fruits and vegetables (
• Treatment of asthma with fruits and vegetables (
• Treating asthma with plants vs. supplements? (
• Treatment of asthma and eczema with diets of vegetable origin (
Do you have any questions for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comments section at and try to answer it.
• To subscribe:
Video credits to NutritionFacts.org YouTube channel