Ketogenic Diet Against Low Carb Diet: Thomas DeLauer-
Ketosis to help your business?
-Cetosis is when your body turns to fat instead of carbohydrates for energy. Ketosis can occur during fasting, when you reduce the amount of carbohydrates or calories in your diet, during pregnancy or after exercising for a long period of time. Many diets use ketosis as the means of burning fat while maintaining muscle – examples include the Atkins diet and other low-carbohydrate diets. This strategy can also lead to decreased hunger. How long does it take to kick your body in fat burning, ketosis mode? Approximately 3-4 days to consume less than 50 carbs per day, the equivalent of 2 bananas. Benefits include weight loss, seizure prevention, cardiovascular health and type 2 diabetes help, to name a few.
How does it work? When glucose is low, your liver will break down fats into ketones, which are then used throughout the body for energy. Muscles and other tissues in your body use ketones instead of glucose for energy metabolism. In a healthy person, the production of ketones for energy is the body's natural response to starvation, so this happens when dieting, during the night and during fasting.
Glucose or Ketones: Which is more effective? Many brain diseases, such as epilepsy, are already being treated by the ketogenic diet. The mechanisms of why the brain helps are still being studied, but there are some possible reasons that ketones appear to be a good source of energy for the brain. A larger ketone, beta-hydroxybutyrate, or BHB, provides more energy per unit of oxygen than glucose and, therefore, can be even more efficient than glucose to provide energy to the brain. (3)
– The ketogenic diet has also been found to increase the number of mitochondria in brain cells. In a 2004 study with rats, one group received a ketogenic diet while the other received a normal diet. We found a positive impact on the gene expression of mitochondrial enzymes in the hippocampus, memory center and brain learning. (4)
Ketosis and body composition of water: It is known that diets high in fat and low in carbohydrates lead to rapid weight loss. The rapid loss of weight is due to the weight of the water that is spilled (5)
– When carbohydrates decrease, the storage of water in the body decreases.
Who can benefit from ketosis? If you are looking to shed some body fat, ketosis can be a good tool. This can go along with an exercise regimen like maintaining muscle while losing fat. Ketosis can also benefit those who need to increase brain power, since energy can be used more effectively in the brain.
* Be careful because people with diabetes can get too high a level of ketones in their blood, which is very dangerous. This happens due to the low levels of insulin in the blood, which will signal the body to produce excess ketones that will accumulate in the blood, making the blood pH too low.
1. What is ketosis?
2. Online diabetes education
3. The fat-fed brain: unnatural or advantageous?
4. An analysis of cDNA microarrays of gene expression profiles in rat hippocampus following a ketogenic diet
5. Composition of weight loss during short-term weight reduction
Video credits to Thomas DeLauer YouTube channel