Sedentary has been coined as the "sitting disease" and "sitting is the new habit of smoking". We are not made to sit, but we sit on average between 60% and 80% of the day and most of that time is at our desks. The solution is a standing desk and I will explain how you can save your life!
See the full publication here:
Here is more about the story: I used to sit for 10 to 12 hours on a desk and in front of a computer. I would take a short break to do my exercise routine, but other than that, I was sitting all day.
Then, one year, I ran my first lifestyle program with a small group of students. I thought it would be a good idea to give everyone a Fitbit activity tracking device because this would allow me to track their activity statistics, which would increase their responsibility to my program.
I also bought one to be able to lead by example and participate in all the challenges step by step.
Well, this is what happened …
I realized how little I moved! This newfound awareness made me think differently, specifically how I could sit less, stand and move more during the day.
I refer to this as "makeup movement", that my 45-minute workouts every day did not compensate for my sedentary lifestyle throughout the day.
I will share 5 ways that a standing desk can save your life:
1. Reduce obesity: extensive research has been carried out on what James Levine, author of "Move a little, lose a lot", is described as N.E.A.T. (Thermogenesis of activity without exercise). You will be surprised how many more calories you can burn by just sitting and moving more! In fact, some studies have shown that you can burn up to 30% more calories just by standing up. That's a great motivation to get a standing desk!
2. Reduce heart disease: this is not a new idea, it was first proposed in 1953, where a study of bus drivers who were around all day had half the risk of heart disease compared to those who were sitting while They were driving the bus.
3. Reduce blood sugar: excessive sedentary lifestyle is related to an increase of more than 100% in the incidence of type 2 diabetes, which is the new pandemic, especially in Western society.
4. Less neck, back, hip and knee pain: this is the result that I noticed immediately (fortunately) when I switched to a standing desk a few years ago. I tried all kinds of office chairs, treatment, whatever, but nothing would alleviate my chronic joint pain. The standing desk worked so well that I started recommending it to my lifestyle coaching clients as well. Did you know that studies show a 30% reduction in back pain? It is true!
5. Live a longer life: many studies have shown a 41% increase in death before people who are excessively sedentary. If you sit at a desk for 8 hours or more per day, in my opinion, you are too sedentary and need to get off your butt and move more often. A stand-up desk is a solution that will not interfere with the productivity of your work, in fact, many studies have shown that it helps with productivity. I guess that's why they call it "think of your feet".
Case and point: Why do we think we should sit down when we work? Is there any evidence that says we work better when we are sitting than standing? As you can see, there is a lot of evidence to say that sitting up excessively is killing us slowly and that a standing desk could save your life.
Here's a challenge for you: if I've convinced you to consider investing in a standing table, comment below or forward this publication to your boss and for the next 30 days, rotate from a desk position to a sitting desk position every 30 minutes.
This is where you can get a stand-up desk:
Get more training and FREE downloads:
Get a FREE printed copy of my new book:
WE ARE GOING TO CONNECT:
"I help people master their lifestyles so that they can master their health, careers and relationships."
As life coach, bestselling author, seminar leader and speaker, Kris J. Simpson found his calling to help others master their lifestyle so they can master the most important things in life: their health, career and relationships . as he did for himself.
Kris is a veteran with more than 25 years of experience in the industry of weight loss, physical conditioning and physical rehabilitation and is the author of the best seller Amazon # 1, the all-inclusive diet.
Video credits to Kris J. Simpson YouTube channel